We started the morning at the hippodrome and then the "Blue Mosque" named for all the blue tiles inside. You can't help but gasp when you first see it's interior. It is probably the most beautifully decorated church I've ever seen. We had fun haggling a bit in the grand bazzar & headed on to Topkapi Palace. While huge and beautifully situated on the Bosphorous I wouldn't need to see it again. We had a good turkish lunch at the palace and then saw the real highlights of the palace: the treasury & amory rooms full of all the jewels & weapons. Afterward we visited Aya Sophia, the oldest functioning church in the world. It was undergoing a lot of restoration, but you can imagine how it must have sparkled. The church has an interesting past having been modified over the years for use by Christian's and then Muslims.
We would love to come back to Istanbul, I feel like we only cracked the surface. And as we sit here waiting to leave watching the city sparkle with lights & come alive I know they must have a great night life!
No comments:
Post a Comment