Thursday, November 13, 2014

Arrival in Venice

We've arrived!  I thought arriving in Venice was going to be one of those "pinch me" moments,  but after nearly 24 hours in transit we arrived in the pouring rain & made a run straight for the hotel.  We eventually wandered out for a mediocre dinner and what we thought was wonderful wine,  but when i saw the shocked look on our servers face when i complimented it i realized we must have just drank the busch light of italian wines from a tap no less, but hey I'm American,  right ;) Afterwards we did a bit off sight seeing in the dark. Almost as soon as we stepped out of our hotel I saw the bridge of sighs & thought,  wow, am i really here?!  We returned shortly thereafter soaked & exhausted and went to bed at 7:30, of course not until we fed my tiramisu tooth at a random corner bakery.  Today we're feeling human again & off to a better start.   We toured St. Marks Basillica, St. Marks museum where we saw the famous four horses which was a pinch me moment and toured the Academia museum.   We finally found the Rialto bridge & ate the best gelato of my life (thanks to the language barrier, I have no idea what I ordered, but that's how I knew the place was legit).  Right now we're sipping coffee at a 300 year old coffee shop, Cafe Floridian.  The rain has held of for the most part today & we're looking forward to sun & boarding our cruise tomorrow.  

No comments: